A family who found themselves evicted from their home in Stoke-on-Trent say they have been left with no choice but to sleep rough outside Hanley Town Hall. Christopher and Lisa Dunn, along with their 18-year-old son Kyle Smith, have been living in the doorway of the council building after a series of setbacks left them without a roof over their heads.
The family’s housing struggles began when their rented property with Concrete, a housing support charity, became the subject of a rent dispute. After being issued an eviction notice, the family’s situation quickly spiralled, and they found themselves seeking refuge with relatives and, later, the council. Despite their repeated attempts to secure housing, they were ultimately left out on the streets.
Christopher suffers with vertigo, mini strokes, gender dysphoria, PTSD, schizophrenia, IBS, and severe back pain.
Lisa has osteoarthritis, incontinence, high blood pressure, depression, anxiety, and split personality disorder.
Mr Dunn, 31, told Stoke-on-Trent Live: “We were living in a Concrete property, but the rent was suddenly increased without a new contract.
"We tried to continue paying the original amount, but then we were given an eviction notice, telling us to leave by October.”
The family had plans to vacate their home in November, following their wedding and honeymoon, but when they returned from their trip, they found the locks had been changed and their belongings were gone.
After staying briefly with Christopher’s mother, they reached out to Stoke-on-Trent City Council, who initially placed them in a Travelodge for six nights during bad weather.
However, when the council deemed the weather conditions no longer extreme, they informed the family that they would need to leave.
Mr Dunn added: “We told them we were disabled, so they asked us for proof. We provided medical documents, but they said it wasn’t enough to classify us as a priority case, and the next thing we knew, we were out on the streets.”
Life on the streets has been dangerous and challenging for the family, as he revealed: “We’re not addicts, but we’ve had people approach us offering drugs or trying to engage in strange behaviour.
"It’s frightening. We’ve had our belongings stolen, and there are times when we can’t even find a toilet.”
While they have received some support from the public, including food donations and a few nights in a hotel funded by kind-hearted strangers, Mr Dunn insists that the council needs to do more.
He said: “It’s the people who’ve helped us, not the council. We’re surviving thanks to them, but we need proper accommodation.”
Councillor Chris Robinson, cabinet member for housing, said: “The couple approached us on March 7, 2025. A homeless application was submitted and an assessment carried out - this assessment is set down in law and is carried out in the same way by every local authority in the country.
“Unfortunately, following this assessment of their individual circumstances and in the absence of any evidence provided with their application with regard to their health, it was found that the couple is not in priority need and therefore the council is not legally required to provide them with accommodation.
"The council was, however, able to advise the couple on the options available to them and signpost them to alternative housing providers. Our Rough Sleeping Housing Needs Officer is also supporting the couple while we continue our efforts to identify suitable temporary and long-term accommodation for them. If they can provide further information to support their application or wish to appeal our decision then we will revisit the assessment.”
Kerry Birtles, Concrete’s executive director of support and wellbeing, said: “We provided housing support to Chris and Lisa for over 12 months and during that time we experienced many breaches of their tenancy agreement, despite extensive offers of support.
"Sadly, we had no choice but to issue them with an eviction notice, but agreed to postpone this, out of goodwill, until after their honeymoon.
“Despite repeated attempts to contact them, over multiple weeks, they failed to get in touch. When we checked the property, it was virtually empty and we presumed they had left, so we started the process of repairing the home for the next resident.
“We offered Chris and Lisa the chance to retrieve any belongings, and we made a referral back to Stoke-on-Trent City Council’s homelessness services to ensure they received the right support. We always strive to achieve positive outcomes for the customers we work with, but sadly this is not always possible.”