Meghan Markle has received a rare olive branch from a company that had previously dropped her just days before her new podcast is set to launch, in what's been dubbed a major "success" for the Sussexes. The Duchess of Sussex's new podcast, titled Confessions of a Female Founder, will drop next week on April 8.
Meghan struck a new deal with podcast distributor Lemonada Media last year, just months after seeing her and Prince Harry's deal with Spotify come to an end in 2023. Harry and Meghan signed a deal with Spotify reportedly worth £18million when they left the Royal Family in 2020. However, the couple only produced one show, Archetypes - a podcast hosted by Meghan.
In it, Meghan interviews various celebrities, including Mariah Carey, Sophie Grégoire Trudeau, Paris Hilton, Serena Williams and others.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex's deal was "mutually" ended in June 2023 after sources claimed there was not enough content produced to warrant the full payout.
But now Spotify has shared the new trailer for Meghan's new podcast in what's been seen as a surprising gesture to the Sussexes since the "brutal" setback.
In the trailer, Meghan says: "I'm Meghan, and this is Confessions of a Female Founder, a show where I chat with female entrepreneurs and friends about the sleepless nights, the lessons learned and the laser focus that got them to where they are today."
The streaming company shared the trailer with the message: "Join Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, to hear the unfiltered stories behind the successes of notable female founders.
"The show launches April 8th, wherever you get your podcasts. Hit subscribe now so you never miss an episode!"
Veteran royal commentator Richard Fitzwilliams told GB News: "Their deal with Spotify was worth £18million and they ended up being called 'f****** grifters' by one of the executives."
The expert added: "It was obviously seen as not only damning but extra damning.
"The fact that Spotify are plugging it, very clearly is an olive branch and a success for the Sussexes.
"What happened was brutal, combined with the 'grifters' comment."
Top Spotify podcast executive Bill Simmons made headlines in 2023 when he blasted Prince Harry and Meghan Markle after the couple's reported lack of material. He described the couple as "f****** grifters", an Americanism for swindlers.
Mr Simmons said: "The f****** grifters. That's the podcast we should have launched with them. I've got to get drunk one night and tell the story of the Zoom I had with Harry to try and help him with a podcast idea. It's one of my best stories."
The Sussexes have never commented on his claims.