Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's Sussex brand has been dubbed "toxic" after the couple faced a "catastrophic" week filled with controversy, according to a royal commentator. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been embroiled in a bitter feud with one of Harry's charities in Africa, from which he recently stepped down.
Yesterday, it was revealed that the Charity Commission had escalated its investigations into "concerns raised" about Sentebale amid a boardroom battle with its chairwoman, Sophie Chandauka, which includes several "claims and counter-claims of racism, bullying and mismanagement", according to reports. The Duke of Sussex said he hoped the Charity Commission would uncover "the truth" about what caused him to resign as patron.
Harry founded Sentebale in honour of his mother late mother, Princess Diana, in 2006 with Prince Seeiso of Lesotho to help young people and children in southern Africa, particularly those living with HIV and Aids. However, last week, several trustees left the organisation in a dispute with Ms Chandauka, having requested her resignation.
Harry and Prince Seeiso backed the departing trustees and announced they had resigned as patrons until further notice. They said their resignations came "with heavy hearts", adding that it was "devastating that the relationship between the charity's trustees and the chair of the board broke down beyond repair, creating an untenable situation".
Ms Chandauka issued a statement in which she alleged there had been "poor governance, weak executive management, abuse of power, bullying, harassment, misogyny, misogynoir". She appeared to criticise Harry for going to the press and for what she described as playing "the victim card". The chairwoman also claimed the duke had tried to "eject" her from the charity through "bullying" and "harassment".
A source close to the former trustees and patrons of Sentebale dismissed Ms Chandauka's comments as a "publicity stunt".
The commission said it had informed the charity on Wednesday that it had "opened a regulatory compliance case to examine concerns raised about the charity". Now, a royal commentator has weighed in on the latest controversy and claimed that it damages the Sussexes' image.
Phil Dampier told the Sun: "It has been a catastrophic few days for Harry and Meghan, hasn't it?
"I think their reputation is already fairly low, but to have a black woman who is head of your charity accuse you of the very things other people have accused you of for many years - it couldn't get much worse, really. I expected Dr Chandauka to have her faults, and maybe she's not perfect, but this is unfortunately following a pattern of allegations of bullying".
Commentator Samara Gill agreed, adding: "It's a story we have heard so many times, it is no surprise. They aren't becoming a toxic brand - they are! I think what Dr Sophie gives is credibility, she's worked at Meta and been a high-powered solicitor for a long time."
After the latest develompent's about the commision's investigation, the Duke said in a statement: "From the inception of Sentebale nearly 20 years ago, Prince Seeiso and I have had a clear goal: to support the children and young people in Southern Africa in memory of our mothers. What has transpired over the last week has been heartbreaking to witness, especially when such blatant lies hurt those who have invested decades in this shared goal. No one suffers more than the beneficiaries of Sentebale itself.
"On behalf of the former trustees and patrons, we share in the relief that the Charity Commission confirmed they will be conducting a robust inquiry. We fully expect it will unveil the truth that collectively forced us to resign. We remain hopeful this will allow for the charity to be put in the right hands immediately, for the sake of the communities we serve."
Ms Chandauka said she welcomes the case being opened and hopes the outcome can "comfort" the public that the charity and its new trustees are "acting appropriately".