Russell Brand will not make any money from YouTube videos as he awaits trial after he was charged with rape, indecent assault and sexual assault. The streaming service issued a statement to Express.co.uk clarifying his account was no longer active and hasn't been for some time. "We suspended Russell Brand’s channel from the YouTube Partner Program in September 2023 for violating our Creator Responsibility policy. The channel has not been able to monetise on YouTube since then. If a creator’s off-platform behaviour harms our users, employees or ecosystem, we take action to protect the community," they said.
Despite having no access to YouTube for over 18 months Brand still managed to boost his fortune by £3.2million in just one year, in spite of the serious sexual assault accusations clouding his public persona. Newly submitted accounts to Companies House revealed that his company, Pablo Diablo’s Legitimate Business Firm Limited, has over £8million in assets. This financial growth occurred amid scrutiny over his conduct, with Channel 4's Dispatches and The Times newspapers making allegations against him.
Brand vehemently denies the allegations, stating: "What I never was, was a rapist. I've never engaged in non-consensual activity."
While YouTube's decision to suspend his monetisation seemed like a critical blow at the time Brand, 49, pivoted to Rumble, a platform that has allowed him to continue earning from his content.
In recent times he has not shied away from the spotlight and recently launched a new series titled Breaking Bread, where he delves into discussions about his Christian faith. His first episode featured controversial figure Tucker Carlson.
However, in light of the charges, which were announced on Friday (April 4) he cancelled his popular show Stay Free, which usually airs daily at 5pm on Rumble.
He announced the move in a clip posted to X, where he broke his silence on the charges, and told fans the daily show will return next week on Monday (April 7).
“I want to thank all of you for your continuing support. I want to let you know that our show will be on Rumble on Monday. Thanks for your support there,” he said. He added: “Of course, I'm now going to have the opportunity to defend these charges in court and I'm incredibly grateful for that.”
The Metropolitan Police have charged him with multiple counts including rape, indecent assault, and sexual assault, concerning incidents between 1999 and 2005 with four different women.
The police detailed the charges: “In 1999 a woman was raped in the Bournemouth area. In 2001 a woman was indecently assaulted in the Westminster area of London. In 2004 a woman was orally raped and sexually assaulted in the Westminster area of London. Between 2004 and 2005, a woman was sexually assaulted in the Westminster area of London.”
Brand, who is currently believed to be in the United States, has been summoned to appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court on May 2.